My friend told me that mung beans (aka green beans, Moong deal) were really good for you but I didn’t know why or how. I made mung bean soup the other day and drank it for three days. The effects on my body were immediate! I noticed that I had much more regular bowel movements, and it felt like a lot was coming out. Isn’t it such a good feeling when you pass substantive shit? And I had sustained energy throughout the day. Finally, my skin which is prone to redness, dryness and blemishes kinda cleared up. I’m not joking. It’s really weird right?
So after three days I googled mung beans and saw that the internet was full of information on mung beans and their nutritional benefits, of which there are plenty! They are recommended in both Indian and Chinese traditional medicine. They are excellent for decreasing “damp heat” (see my post on irritability) and you can eat them with fresh vegetables for 30 days and get a really good detox for your body. They are low in saturated fats, high in vitamins and minerals, and really good for your digestive system!
Curried Mung Bean Soup:
- Soak mung beans for 2 hours
- Sautee onions in olive oil until translucent
- Stir in garlic and the following spices: turmeric, coriander, salt, & a bay leaf
- Throw in chopped celery and carrots (some diced tomatoes are also good!)
- Add mung beans and water or vegetable/chicken broth
- Bring to a boil and then lower and let simmer covered for an hour
** Ginger would also be good. I made this recipe up kind of. I tend to eye ball everything so I haven’t included any measurements but the internet is full of them!
I highly recommend them if like me, you are concerned about your general health in your thirties.